28 December 2006

Experiencing technical difficulties

First, my cell phone has completely died. I'm not particularly attached to the thing (in fact, some would argue that I've never been attached enough to it) and we aren't having anything like winter weather here for me to worry much about getting caught in a blizzard. So my phone dies, once and for all. No biggie.

As I've mentioned, the digital camera has had some (bunny) issues with the power cord. Motivated off my lazy butt by holiday shopping, I've been to no less than three stores looking for a replacement. Sadly, the nice lady at the Kodak help line has informed me that my camera dock is no longer being manufactured, though there is something that will kinda work. (At least, I think that's what she said, the growing one inside me has made me a bit daft when it comes to accents.) So, we have something that kinda charges the battery for now, enough to take a few quick pictures of knitting (if there was such a thing) and growing bellies. We can deal, right?

Saturday, I came home from my day at the library to find Mr. CygKnit rather upset. It seems that while I was at work the hard drive on his Dell keeled over. This was not good, but we could deal. Someone had the foresight to buy the three year warranty with the laptop (knowing that law school would suck all our available cash for three years), and a new FREE hard drive was winging its way to us. So, we use one computer, my MacBook, for a few days. Easy peasy, right?

I can take a lot. A dead phone, a chewed up battery, my sweet husband's twitching over the (temporary) loss of his computer. Except...the MacBook. The MacBook that I love, that holds lots of pictures and highly important data (like our list of baby names), that brings light and joy into my life, now lives in the land of Noworky. I don't think I cried, but I've been tempted to.

On the (very) bright side, the good man at Mac I spoke to was pleasant, cheerful, and amazingly helpful. He walked me through some things that might keep it from randomly turning off, and didn't seem at all ruffled when they didn't work. Apparently, heat sink issues are common, but instead of me feeling bad for purchasing a bum one, he made me feel better that it wasn't me who screwed up the computer. When I get home tonight, there will be a prepaid Express box on my doorstep, and I'll pop my baby off to Mac Docs central, and in about a week all will be right with the world.Right?

In knitting news...well, there's none. I'm itching to start a new project, but I haven't the foggiest idea what. I feeling the urge to Fair Isle, but in small quantities. I have a second sock to complete, though, which is like a bucket of cold water on my knitterly desires.

I've even given my wheel a few longing glances and a whispered promise.

I'll keep you posted.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 6:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I started to panic for a sec there thinking that perhaps it was Firefox...or Thunderbird that did it in ;o)

Hope it gets fixed quickly!!

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Maybe Blogger is catching? Glad you have the back-up of warrenties. You *could* start a wee fair isle sweater. The good thing about baby knits is that they don't take as much time and yarn.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

Tiny Fair Isle? What's wrong with change purses that double as gauge swatches for when you are knitting for the wee one? Or pockets for whatever you already have?
So sorry about the technical difficulties. You know how I feel about technology... If it has wires or buttons, count me out.
Good luck.

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain.

I have been several times to the Land of Noworky (and it's ultimately why I gave up laptops altogether) and it's not a pretty place.

Hope everything is up and running soon. Want pictures.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've been having computer issues aroung here lately to so I can totally relate. Hope all your electronics are up and running soon!

Happy New year!

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger Leigh said...

Oh my. I've tremendously enjoyed getting caught up on your recent posts. Actually, for me, it's good there haven't been a lot because I haven't been around the blogosphere much lately either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home