30 January 2007

Reasonably Random

I still have tons of stuff floating around my head:

1. I think I broke the camera. When your husband says not to leave it plugged in to the laptop (and the cord dangling to the ground), you should listen. I thought I was too clever to catch my foot on said cable and fling the camera across the floor. I was wrong.

2. Wanna see what I'm knitting?



It's the Baby Bolero from One Skein. While I have the appropriate yarn (2 skeins, no less) I succumbed to a yarn emergency and bought a skein (or two) of this. I think it looks less olive-y and more pale green in person, but I blame the crappy picture on my camera.

3. The yarn for these wee cardigans was the first I've bought since Rhinebeck. I can't begin to explain how amazing it felt to buy yarn again. Like, "Wow, buying yarn is fun." How did I forget this?

4. That bit you see that I've done? That's the entire right front of the cardi. It took me 45 minutes. 45. In the car on the way back from South Carolina, I knit the rest of the body (back, and left front). In one 2 hour shift as passenger, including ripping out the left front once after finding I couldn't follow directions.

5. I had no idea newborns were that small. Since I will be delivering one, I'm kinda happy about this. I keep unfolding the body of the sweater, though and trying to imagine a little person in there. I'm having a time with this concept. I had dolls bigger than this.

6. During my last non-blogging period, I found out something I should have shared: IT'S A BOY!!

7. I have no idea how to raise a boy.

8. This wee cardi isn't for me, it's for a friend. Why? She's making a crib quilt for my son (!!):

Some early squares:


Squares she did over the weekend:


Fabric:



The bottom two fabrics are for squares, the green is for the backing, the dotted one is for the border and the top one is for the facing. (I think I have those terms right.)

9. Clearly, I need to knit more for this woman than a tiny cardigan.

10. At some point I spoke about a little project I was making for my child, a thing that deserved it's own post. We've decided to use cloth diapers on baby Buster (my step-father's nickname for him), which is controversial I understand. Before the loss of an antique needle in the Toys R Us parking lot, my wee project was a wool diaper soaker. I don't know if I would be interested in using wool soakers (I like these better) but I thought it would be good to at least knit something. I was having powerful urges to knit, but was intimidated with anything else. The soaker was some old Cascade 220 in the stash, less intimidating than buying baby yarn. That must sound silly. I'm not sure I want to finish it, now that I'm working on the cardis.

11. My reasons for cloth diapering are not environmental. Really, its 45% health reasons, 45% monetary and 10% environment. I was hospitalized more than a few times as an infant and child with asthma, and I found that the chemicals in disposables that make them so absorbent give off emissions that cause asthma in lab rats. I'm thinking the child will have enough genetic disposition in that direction that I don't need to add to it. (Here's a good link. I've looked up the actual studies, too).

12. I've been trying to spin. It's not going so well. How can I forget everything in just a few months??

13. I've been given some additional responsibilities at work, which is seriously cutting into my Bloglines time. As of 10:15 this morning I had 251 unread, and I don't even have that many subscriptions (compared to some). At least my resume will look nicer.

14. I'm sorry, Knitter Bunny. No pics of the blocking, yet.

7 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger Netter said...

Boys are great. Be prepared for energy, lots of energy! You'll do great. I hadn't heard that about disposables and asthma. Are you going the daycare route? None of them near us would take cloth.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Katy said...

Congrats on the boy! Trust me, none of us know how to parent any kind of baby, but you'll figure it out just fine. ;)
We used (mostly) cloth diapers--feel free to pick my brain when you come to the spin-in. I may even have some hand-me-downs to pass along if you are interested! I was about to list a bunch of diapers/covers on ebay--perhaps I should wait until after you come?

 
At 12:03 PM, Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Bwaha ha ha ha! I am so knitting tiny socks. Lots of tiny socks. So many socks you'll be inundated with tiny socks. hee hee hee (PS, bunny?)

 
At 4:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the boy! Don't worry boy's are great. You'll do fine. What gorgeous quilt that's going to be. I love all those colors!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

That is going to be one warm baby. More on that later......
As for the cloth/disposable debate, we used cloth at home and disposable when we traveled. I stayed home with the boys so we didn't have to worry about the whole day care thing. (I also breast fed to avoid family genetic curses, but I had not heard about the asthma connection.)
When I had The Baby (number 2) I lifted him up to change his diaper the first time and nearly put him out the window, Elder Child weighed about 40 pounds at that time and there was a little difference.

 
At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I broke my camera the same way!

Adorable kimono. I remember when we were waiting to adopt my daughter, I knit her a few sweaters and I couldn't believe how small they were, and they were for a 9mo! I used to hold them up with one arm over my shoulder as if she were inside them. Even then, they turned out to be huge on her. Isn't it a wonderful feeling?

And, a boy? Yay for you. The downside is that boys are nowhere near as fun to buy clothes for. And they make more noise. But, in my experience, they are much less likely to have emotional meltdowns just because you forgot to use the plastic stitch markers they got you for Christmas and now can never forgive you and mention it every time you knit even if you aren't using any stitch markers for this project. But they do break stuff. On purpose.

Puberty for my stepsons was relatively smooth. They went to their rooms for two years and came out 8 inches taller with deeper voices and leg hair.

Not looking forward to puberty with a daughter.

Oh, and if you are interested in cloth diapers, have you ever checked out BeaKnits? Her blog, which you can google, I suppose, has been focused on how to sew the best kind of cloth diapers for her newborn, who is adorable.

 
At 2:18 PM, Blogger Little Terry said...

Binding, not facing. The other terms are correct, good job! I've been slacking this week because more squares call for (yet more) ironing. I hate ironing...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home