17 May 2006

Ta-daaaaaaaaaaaa!

Here it is, a gusset without holes:



Now, I can't say how I did this. Mostly, I called upon the meager bits I remembered of what advice I had been given before. (I didn't have custody of the computer at the time, which is why I was stuck with what a I could remember.)

Although I did have holes in the anklet I tried, I still wonder how much of last night's success had to do with using worsted weight rather than a sock yarn. Is it so thick it hides it? I have the other bumblebee sock at mid-heel flap now; I suppose I'll know today at lunch or tomorrow.

It is amazing to me how much faster socks go in worsted, though! Since my Dad wears boots for work and needs something more solid than regular socks, it only makes sense to use heavier yarn and bigger needles. The color may not be what he wants--I'm working from stash--but he's 100% function over form. If I made him socks on size 1's or 0's, he'd only wear them for weddings and funerals. Not how I want my socks worn, I tell you. I just feel I am cheating for using such big needles (size 9).

Tonight, no working on socks! I just got a phone call from home that went something like this:

"Honey, do you know a 'Jane'?"
"Jane?" I say, "that sounds familiar..."
"A Jane in England??"

Yikes! My Project Spectrum postcard swap partner has beaten me to it, and her letter has arrived! Don'tcha worry, Jane, I'm on it tonight.

3 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Mazel tov! Love the thick socks. Hope your dad loves them, too! When my Dad died we cleaned out his dresser and I found the socks I knit him in college (um...more than 30 years ago) and they were in great condition. I'm not sure if they just didn't fit or if he was saving them for "good". Either way, now I wear them and think if him.

 
At 7:22 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Darn! *of him*

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Socks on 9's.

Must be nice.

;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home