04 August 2006

Wired (errr...rather, wireless)

[Edited to add: How about some captions, eh?]




[My first cuke this year...and my first non-deformed one ever. 11 of its dearest friends will ripen today, and this weekend I will attempt to reach my goal: Can pickles like my PopPop. More to come on this.]



[The view from about halfway up Mt. Greylock.]


[Soy silk, inego (corn fiber, donchaknow), and the luscious mohair locks I'm clueless about. Bosworth spindle for scale.]


[Birthday present from my mother. I asked her to pick out yarn for socks she and my step-father might want for the Winter Consumer Holidays. I was told by Mr. Cygknit that its a cheesy gift to get yarn you intend to give back. Perhaps it is. But she spent more on the yarn for her than she would have for just me (take that as you will--it is simply a fact, and does not bother me), and I never would have bought the Mountain Colors for myself. Kelly has given me some good suggestions from Sensational Knitted Socks so I don't freak out (more than I have) on what to knit.]



[Project Linus blanky, nearly ready to send back to the Dragon. I've talked aboout this, I think, but not sure if those posts ever got published. We work for a 2 week period, then mail it back to the other until its done. We're responsible for weaving in the other's ends, but not our own (who wants to do their own?) . The penatly for not obeying the rules? Presents. Of course, I've missed our swap deadline (7/31) and am hitting the stores today. Sometimes, its worth it to get that extra strip (left) in.]

Today, I'm off to Wool Connection to play with some Ashford wheels. My schedule and Janet's are not agreeing with each other so I thought I'd go try some out and report back to her with an order. Ya, I have zero patience. I should feel bad for this, but I don't. I have a three week window between semesters, and I want to spend every possible hour glued to the wheel. (I just reread this, and am a little scared by the power of the justification. ) I'm just so darn excited I almost scare myself.

3 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

I know what else you can do today! You can book for us so we aren't homeless for Rhinebeck!

Canning with PopPop? Never heard that story... You'll have to let me know how that goes, cos Jenn and I are going to Farmer's Market tomorrow. We be jammin'. And she is addicted to pickles. Love the giant bag o' fiber.

I'm guessing all your knitting friends are getting handspun for Winter Consumer Holiday, and non-knitters get homemade preserves or some such with little mohair I-cord ribbons? Because you can't resist knitting your own handspun.

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The year before last (when I had a garden and wasn't sucked back into this soul-sucking job I'm forced to go to three days a week) I canned my own pickles. My whole house smelled like my grandmother's in the late summer ;o) It was very cool.

And explain to the Dragon that if you don't find a room you can always stay with me :o) I'm only an hour from Mecca...

 
At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The sock yarns and fiber are great. As for the Mohair you can spin it right from the lock. Good luck in the search for your wheel!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home