26 July 2006

where I corrupt the innocent

Last week, I was asked the sort of question that makes folks like us weep with joy.

"Cygknit, will you teach me to knit?"

When I was done drying the tears from my face, I asked her if I truly heard her right.

"You want me to teach you to knit?"

"Uh-huh."

"You sure?"

"Yep"

I made plans to go to the yarn store before she changed her mind.

After an overwhelming experience at a store I'd not been to before--so much wool piled everywhere I had to take care not to trip--we headed over to her place for Lesson 1: Stockinette.



She didn't want to learn to knit a garter stitch scarf a mile long. No, she wants her first project to be a cardigan. You heard me--a cardi. Button band, and all. And I wasn't going to tell her she couldn't.

The swatch above is her first try at kit and purl, and done in about 30 minutes. The girl is a natural. She emailed this to me a little later, the productive little wench.



She asked for homework, and I gave it to her: a 4" swatch for gauge. Extra credit? K1P1 for another 2". I almost hated her for being so darned clever. (I'll not mention how pleased I was when she called asking about a "hole" she had made, and a mysterious extra stitch. I'm sure she's human, now. I wasn't before.)

I think she's hooked on this knitting thing. How do I know? She sent me a pic of a "scenic knitting place" in her yard:



My work here is done.

5 Comments:

At 11:22 PM, Blogger Little Terry said...

Hey! I got K1P1 to work! yay me!

 
At 1:17 AM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

Yes, Teri, yay you. Yay the living heck out of you.
Cygknit, I just showed Yoshi your post about teaching your pal to knit, and since he knows I taught Roomie (who really needs a new name) to knit, he says we are strong in the ways of the Force.
God, I love my uber geek boyfriend.
And I have decided that it is time to come out of the closet and post under my own blogger name, hope you don't mind, but I was once Eskimo, and now I am... The Dragon of Swan and Dragon. Best friend (well, one of a few best friends) extraordinaire.
And anyone who doesn't know, Cygknit's birthday is the 30th. She wants yarn. Or a contribution towards her spinning wheel. Check my blog for details.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great. Usually when I offer to teach friends and family to knit they either change the subject or suddenly have somthing they have to take care of and slowly back away! That yarn store looks awesome!

 
At 9:47 AM, Blogger Netter said...

Another convert. I recently taught a new knitter at work. World domination is closer! I envy your friend's knitting spot.

 
At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tell her I said welcome to the dark side...muahahahahahha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home