29 June 2006

Wheel

I'm not sure that anything could top yesterday's post. Who wouldn't love that Guinea Pig? (My husband has adopted him as a mascot, but I'm sure no one needed to know that.)

I was going to title this post something like "help, please" but I realized that I do way too much of that begging for help thing. Especially if it is information that I seek (kinda embarrassing with me being a librarian and all). This time, however, the fire burns within me and I am in serious need of enabling direction.

I need a wheel.

My list of justifications include:

  1. I have a Rubbermaid bin of fiber, and the spindle isn't burning through it so fast.
  2. I have about a pound of prepared alpaca fiber I got for an embarrassingly low price. The spindle is intimidated.
  3. Spinning is therapy (I dare any spinner to argue that)
  4. My husband actually said, "Do you want a wheel for your birthday?"

Do I need to go on? I thought not.

What I would like to know is how those spinners out there found their first wheel. Did you try out a bunch at a store? (And if said store is in CT, dude, let me know) At a festival? A guild meeting? Did a pusher friend get you started?

I have a serious itch to spin (no, Eskimo, not the kind that cream can help), and I don't know where to start. I beg thee for direction.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't ever let me catch you doubting the cream again. It may be just what you need.
Good luck with the wheel. Maybe we find you something at Rhinebeck? Don't be silly, I know you can't wait that long. Hope you get it for your birthday.
Oh, and HEY ALL!! Cygknit's birthday is at the end of July, so mark your calendars and go get an e-card!

 
At 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I got my first wheel not knowing how to spin I just went off to Webs and bought one. Luckily after I learned to use it I really liked it but it probably is best to try a few out first and see what you like. I have the Lendrum folding wheel it's because it's not to big and it spins wonderfully. Webs has nice selection of wheels and they will let you try them all out so it may be worth it to drive up there. Good Luck!

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger KnitterBunny said...

I use an Ashoford Traveller. Ashfords are a decent first wheel due to their price and the variation. There are also several great tutorials on the net. I googled "choosing a spinning wheel" when I was first starting. I bought one straight off of the Woolery's website.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what a great b-day gift a wheel would be. Lucky you. Now get out there and find that special wheel that's calling your name. Have fun!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home