17 September 2006

Where I distract you with pretty pictures.

So, I was fixing the webrings on the side over there ---> and kept seeing that awful picture of my mudroom. A new post was definitly in order, but what to post about? The bunny habitat is progressing nicely (read: 90% of crap is gone) and I did some fair isle over the weekend (read: FUBAR).

So, I distract you.

Weeks and weeks ago, I went to this place, in Wethersfield:



It is actually part of a larger historic area, which includes the Silas Deane House, the Issac Steves House, and more historic homes than you can imagine (trust me, I got lost there). We waited for the tour, which is the only way to see these three, and our rather congested guide fed me all the fascinating facts I could take (which I apparently have forgotten, or you'd have them here).

While I have a deep and abiding love for all things historical, I kept my eyes out for ONE thing as we toured each of the three houses: Spinning wheels. Finally, in the last room of the last house, I saw them.



Notice the black chain in the foreground. Not only were they roped off, but I wasn't allowed to take pictures. My sniffly guide did not care ONE bit about blogging, no sir he didn't . My resentful little heart reluctantly climbed back down the stairs, and headed to the giftshop.

I had decided not to buy any trinkets, as this was the week I had bought the wheel (read: blew all my cash until payday). As I wandered about, I saw...a docent knitting. Of course, I had to ask, which led to me mentionioning spinning wheels, and how sad I was that I couldn't take pictures. Know what she did? Took me and my camera upstairs! Then, she took me behind the rope. I heart knitters.

(The fibers you see in front of her are flax, as are all the fibers & lightly colored braids you in the first picture.)


In the first attic picture, you can see parts about five or six of the dozen-ish wheels. Waaaaaaaaaay back in the back, I saw this:


Because my baby is a castle wheel, and I never seem to see them wandering about, I was *thrilled* to see it. She even let me touch it. This one, set up for flax, is very different than mine, though (aside from not having its treadles set up).

For those of you not thrilled with castle wheels, I present Saxony Wheel Candy (and a loom):


More Wheel Candy:

(I love the distaff on this one)


For those of you not thrilled with spinning, come back tomorrow. Mr. Cygknit has agreed to guest blog My Fair Isle Disaster, with charts and graphs to show you just how bad I am at following directions. Do stay tuned.

6 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Duly distracted. ;)

Drooling a bit too. Must mop up desk.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I wanna learn how to spinnnnnn!!! :)

 
At 2:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Knitters are good people! Glad you got to take some spinning wheel pictures.

 
At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey that wheel in the front looks like mine (only with all its parts) ;o)

Very cool that you got to get all up close and personal :o)

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

What on earth did you do to the Fair Isle?

Nice wheels. And yippity yay for the lady who took you up for your pictures. However, she probably didn't take into account that you were going to tell on her in your blog.

 
At 6:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, we were married in the Web House Barn a while ago. So fun to see it mentioed here. Can't believe they have thhhhose wheels just stashed up there! What town do you live in?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home