25 August 2006

On shawls and such

What I would really like to be doing right now is showing you some progress on the UFOs. I failed to realize this week was that Mr. Cygknit's return to school meant one thing--the laptop went back to school, too. *Sigh* Now, this laptop is the only computer (of 3 in the house, not counting those inhabiting the attic) that's connected to the Internet. Don't ask me why. As well, it is the only computer that can handle the digital camera. So, tomorrow, pictures.

What has been driving me nuts today, and off and on since June, is lace. Lace, lace, lace. I really need to make a shawl, for me and/or for my mother. Perhaps its time for a story:

My mother is going to Italy next May, and wants me to knit a shawl for her.

Ok, that's a short story. Want the long version?

My mother does not like to fly. When my mother flies, she has a tendency to use the airsick bag. And those of the her immediate seatmates. And those of the inhabitants of all the rows in the vicinity (Ask me how I know). So, it is only logical that she fly to Europe.

I say that with some sarcasm, but the truth is that I'm proud of her. While we don't have the best relationship (or even always a good one) she's not been free to do whatever she wants for a good many years (and that's a different story). The only time she's been out of the country in my lifetime was the time when we went to Toronto--for just as long as it took to see the CN Tower, then back across to NY. So, Italy is a big thing, and me being asked to make something for the trip is an even bigger thing.

So, of course, I want to make the Perfect Shawl. Not only should it be technically perfect, it needs to visually embody the idea of a shawl. It needs to be exactly what my mother wants, even though she has no idea what it is that she wants. No problems there, right?

Here's the criteria I've come up with, based on her recommendations:

  1. It needs to as fuss-free as possible. She's not a fusser, and will ball it up into the corner of the suitcase if she has to futz with it sliding off her shoulders all the time. I refuse to sweat over something that will annoy her.
  2. It needs to do double duty as a shawl and a sort of hair-cover-y-thing. (I don't quite get this, but apparently she intends to cover her head when walking into every church-turned-museum. She was raised Episcopalian, and I'm pretty sure that's where this is coming from.)
  3. It needs to be lightweight enough for late Spring mornings and evenings.
  4. Although I was thinking a neutral color, she would like something bolder. Maybe a turquoise?
  5. Probably a triangle shape?
  6. My requirements: It needs to look like a shawl--no weird (for her) motifs like frolicking sheep. We'll save that for me.
  7. It needs to be easy enough that I don't spend months sobbing over my inadequacies.

No sweat, right? (ignore the maniacal laughing from me, right now)

Some ideas:

Knitterbunny made a Triangles Within Triangles shawl back in July that looks, well, like a shawl. Or like I think my mom thinks a shawl looks like. (Blogger isn't letting me add the pic, sorry.)

I'm not adverse to Faroese shawls, either. (Really wish Blogger would load a pic!)

Any ideas?

4 Comments:

At 2:53 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

A Faorese shawl is supposed to stay on the shoulders better. Do you have the Stahman book on shawls? There's one made with the feather and fan pattern. Prety and easy! How would she feel about a peach colored, cotton shawl? I know where you can get plenty of yarn.

 
At 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heritage Yarns has some beautiful yarns in gorgeous colors. Lots of yardage and good price. Laceweight boucle - 1075 yards for $24.00. Enjoy your blog!!

 
At 11:19 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

I like the Faroese as well. And the yarn, hmmmm..

Maybe something subtly heathered in a pale shade, like this:
http://www.yarndex.com/yarn.cfm?yarn_id=2638

This looks purty, and you also get the irony of giving your mama some hemp.

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Spinningfishwife said...

It`s hot in Italy so you want something lightweight, and small enough to stuff into a handbag between churches. So don`t be thinking of knitting something that goes down to her knees. Go for one that starts at the point rather than the long cast on, so you can just stop when it gets long enough.
How about the Kiri shawl, or similar?
http://www.alltangledup.com/movabletype/my_images/my_patterns/kiri.pdf#search=%22kiri%20shawl%22

 

Post a Comment

<< Home