02 October 2006

Socktoberfest!!

No, really, I'm not late in posting for Socktoberfest. Really!

Here's the line up:

1. Socks for my Mom. Reasons to knit them ASAP include
a) she picked the yarn out herself, having no experience with Yarn Store sock walls
b) she picked the yarn out at my request
c) she picked the yarn out as a Winter Consumer Holiday* present for herself.

Shown is the Chevron section of Sensational Knitted Socks. I need to move on these.



2. Sock for my Step-Father. See #1 above. I'm thinking (if I can get reasonable gague) of the Father and Son Socks from the Fall Interweave. I'm not sure if the pattern will be obscured, though. Any thoughts?



3. Baby socks for the Dutchicans. (No pictures, sorry) I have some Lion Brand Magic Stripes (In the cleverly named "Purple" colorway) that was bought with a friend in mind. Sadly, she's allergic to all wool, including superwash. So, baby socks!

4. *Sigh* Do you see something wrong with this picture?



Maybe one sock way smaller than the other?? I have no idea what I did, as I have the same number of stitches on the same needles as the first one. I probably knit the second one a lot tighter--the thought crossed my mind at one point. Time to rip.

Finally, thanks for the Yom Kippur comments. During the completely flippin' fiberless period of reflection that such a somber day requires, I had much time to reflect on my complete and utter dependence on wool in any form. I'd be a little worried but the sun's down and I can knit now.

* I don't like calling December 25 "Christmas." It's one of those quirks of mine that I probably shouldn't talk about. Some reasons tie to the pagan history (why call it Christmas when so much of the symbolism isn't Christian), while others relate to the almost total capitalistic nature of the American observance of it (why call it Christmas when there's little Christ-action going on with all the wrapping paper flying about?). I like my menorah sans presents, and my Consumer Holidays with lots of 'em. But that's just me.

6 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Welcome back. Glad to see you survived the fast. You're a better blogger than I, Gunga Din! Wait! What? Hmmm, better blog about the last two weeks tomorrow, after caffine and sleep (but not in that order!)

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A day with out fiber! I'm not sure I could do it.

Love the sock yarn your mom picked out. Can't wait to see them knit up!

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have that same Sensational Knitted Socks book and I LOVE it! :) I'm a chart-monger, and she's got charts for like EVERYTHING EVER to do with socks in there...love it love it!

 
At 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in total agreement on the Dec. 25 thing. I was talking to a very devout Christian woman who was lamenting that at her grandchildren's holiday sing-along they only covered tunes like Rudolph and Frosty and Sleigh Bells, but nothing about Jesus. I suggested that there should be two holidays: one a religious one and one a commercial/pagan one. (I only celebrate the commercial/pagan one.) She misunderstood and got offended, thinking that I wanted to eliminate Christ from the holiday altogether. My point was that the commercial side of things is ruining it for the devout Christians and the Christian side has no meaning for those of us raised on tinsel and presents. So why not split the holiday?


She prayed for me.

 
At 1:06 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

I still can't help but call it Christmas, even though I can't summon up a modicum of faith in its name. Why? Tradition, my friend. Blame Mom and Dad.
I hate to say, I do think the colorway for your stepdad's socks may eat the textural aspect of the pattern alive and without condiments. Swatch, swatch, and swatch again.
As to your footies, did you consider that the one footie has been stretched on your foot already, and is therefore naturally bigger? I say finish the second and then weigh them. If they weigh the same, they should be about the same size. makes sense in my head.
Unlike Christmas.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Little Terry said...

I especially like the 'American Consumer Holiday' branding since it allows my husband to enjoy it so much more. And then I also can avoid feeling guilty about inviting our favorite holiday guests for a holiday they would technically not celebrate if not for ACH. And if I abstain on giving my child too much for the holiday, it's a direct conversation about consumerism, not about how much I love him, which is somehow what Christmas is all about.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home