22 December 2007

Coming to You Live From South Carolina

As we speak, the boy is downstairs, in the loving arms of Grandma. This is a beautiful thing for mama, who relished her first shower completely alone in weeks. Grandma is no doubt feeding said infant cheese sandwiches on wheat bread* but I assure you at this glorious towel-wrapped moment I do not care.

I have a few things that have been poking in the back of my head, demanding to be blogged. I present you with:

-- A FO! This is a wee lovey made for Em from Plymouth Heaven gifted to me at my Florida baby shower. I think I blogged about it ages ago, possibly before Em was born (way to finish project, huh?)



And another view:

You may notice something amiss is the middle? Um, yeah. I tried to knit on a bear head, a la this, and it did not work. Compared to the Heaven, any other yarn seems as scratchy and nasty as the cheapest acrylic. Knit in Heaven, a bear head has all the definition of a lump of snow. So, rather than just rip it back (which is a trick with the Heaven) I had the grand idea of just snipping it off. You see where this is going--I snipped the blanket instead of the head and was faced with a big old hole. Some blind sewing later (this yarn is nothing if not camouflaging) and the whole is closed, if ugly. The boy loves it, though.

For the record, it was knit on size 13 (9 mm) needles. I cast on 35 stitches, I think, and alternated four rows of the variegated and two of white in garter stitch. (There is no such thing as stitch definition with this yarn, so don't even bother with the knits and purls.) I finished it off with a double crochet edging in the white, with the biggest hook I had around. It's about 12" by 18" (30 x 45 cm), perfect for a little lovey.

-- Next up: Yarn!


I won a contest of over at Imbrium's a few months back and received this lovely skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot as my prize. Yum-o. Sadly, it arrived while I was in the end-of-semester crunch and aside from photographing it for Ravelry, I totally forgot to mention it. Regardless of that glaring blogger error, I am still really happy to have won my first contest and get such a coveted (by me) prize.

-- Finally, a WIP. Kinda. Young Master Em is rapidly outrgowing his hats (I have sworn since the day he was born that boy had a big head). I told Mr. C that I would be more than happy to (finally) knit a hat, if he would pick it out. He picked a Viking helmet. Of course. (I only have a Ravelry link to it). Here is the "metal" band with rivets:


And here is the "leather" helmet portion:

Sadly, it is stalled because the pattern was on her blog but exists no longer. Being the Queen of Prepared that I am, I failed to print it out. For once, I was prepared to make that leap to FO and have been thwarted. I'm hoping she'll repost that page soon.

-- Finally (for real this time), here's a picture of my six month old boy. (I am THAT woman who bores everyone with pictures of how cute her kid is.) He's airing out a bit from a teething rash, here, after mama learned that he needs to air out WITH a diaper (cloth, of course) rather than without. Hence the bumper in the wash.



I don't know how much time I'll have again until after Christmas, when I'm back from SC, so Merry Merry to those that celebrate it. For those that don't, I'll see you at the Chinese restaurant.

*This has become a joke between my sister and I, as my mother attempted to feed a three month-old Em some cheese, and just yesterday tried to give his six month-old self wheat bread. Considering my personal list of allergies is longer than my list of non-allergic foods, my heart stops when I see my child fed things known to cause life-long intolerances. Fun times with the Fam.

10 Comments:

At 7:25 PM, Blogger Little Terry said...

Cheese on bread- what, no bacon?

 
At 8:17 PM, Blogger Moderatrix8 said...

At least it's not white bread with Miracle Whip...

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

Is she coating it with honey, too?
And I find it hilarious that you decided on the day he was born that his head is large. Hmm, wonder how you came to that conclusion?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger JessaLu said...

Nice FO - and lovely yarn!

v cool hat, too. Did you try the wayback machine to find that pattern?

Happy Holidays and all that... ;o)

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger thegabbyknitter said...

I can't believe how big he's getting! That last picture of him is just beautiful. Great fo and pretty yarn. The hat looks great too that sucks about the pattern.

Happy Holidays too you!

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Check your e-mail.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Oh,yeah, happy new year and much knitting ahead.

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

Wow has it been 6 months already? I can't believe that he is that old.

He is a cutie. You have all right to post about it.

Oh that sucks that you didn't print off the pattern. Maybe try asking on Ravelry to see if anyone might have it.

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger jessie said...

I am still cracking up over your comment to me about wrestling a couch out of Ikea during a wind storm. But this is funny, too.

Cute baby and hey, a solo shower, life is good!!!

 
At 9:37 AM, Blogger Leigh said...

What a doll baby! Hope you can knit fast enough to keep up with his growing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home