21 July 2007

This post brought to you by Free Hands

Hands free is an amazing thing.

Around week three of life (he is five weeks, now), Em developed a sudden need to be held constantly and developed an amazingly sad and pained cry.* I felt like I was nursing him around the clock, as that was all that would comfort him, and I was beginning to wonder what had happened to my sweet baby . Between the rocking, bouncing, shushhing and nursing, my arms and shoulders were creaking, my rear-end was numb and I was starting to feel a little twitchy. Of course, with a new baby I was a hormonal nightmare, and was torn between a deep desire to put the child down periodically and a consuming guilt about not wanting to hold my baby. Not rational, but I was hormonal. Trying to find a middle ground, I tried two types of carriers but the boy was not amused. Not until this was gifted to me:


My first attempt at wrapping a Moby D was a little sloppy, as you can see, but wow, did he love it. And you know what? I got to hold my baby AND do the dishes, or the laundry, or even *gasp* knit.

No pictures, yet, but I've been working on a Heartbreakingly Cute Baby Kimono for this baby, and I found the long-lost Baby Bolero I started for her (I might have neglected to mention this here, but I kinda lost the entire bolero for a few months. The yarn, the needles, the pattern, everything. I live in a >700 sq ft. house; this is a bit embarrassing).

Before I post pictures of what I really am knitting (I promise!) I want to show off another amazing hand knit my child was lucky enough to be gifted. This was sent to us from the talented Netter. My photography does not do it justice, but here's a shot for size:

For texture:
For detail:
Do you see the mitered corners in my poor shot? So cool. The blanket was knit with Rowan All Seasons Cotton and is amazing. It's soft, beautiful, and knit on a gauge I wouldn't have dared for something as large as it is. Truth be told, I rarely use it just for the boy. Rather, when I rock him late in the night I drape it over us. I tuck it around me, snuggle in and enjoy a 3 am nurse with a happy baby.

*Turns out he has reflux. We're managing it well without medication, but gone are my wonderful nights drifting off while nursing in bed. We're all about keeping him at an angle, now.

9 Comments:

At 12:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh...the joys of reflux - we supplemented with an OMT (Osteopathic Manipulative doc) and she did WONDERS for reflux...just in case it gets worse. He's adorable, just adorable! I hear ya on the hormonal thing...it does pass...kinda ;)

 
At 12:02 AM, Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

Oh no. Poor little guy and poor mommy too. It is tough when they are that little, but it does get better.

What a beautiful blanket.

 
At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The reflux is stuff my oldest son had it and ended up sleeping in his baby carrier the first few months but it did get better. It looks like he loves his new baby carrier and what help for you as well.

The blanket is goregous!

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

Lovely blanket; great (and ambitious!) job, Netter!
Nice to hear you are hands-free again. Helps a lot, doesn't it, to be able to not (necessarily) have to put him down for the little things like, say, using the bathroom.
I don't recall, do you have a Boppy? Does wonders for his sitting up, also will help if you lay him inside on his belly (few months down the road) to develop his upper body strength for (gasp!) crawling.
My nephew is so handsome. Even if he does look like his Daddy *wink*.
Wanna see more handknits!

 
At 12:19 AM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Beautiful blanket! It looks sooo soft! Years (and years!) ago I made a front sling for Elder Son. He lived in it until he was about 9 months old and was a very happy baby.

 
At 5:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are hanging in there! It's always something; just when you think you've got the hang of it, things change. Such is the world of being a parent.

Sounds like you've got it under control though.

Great baby blanket!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Netter said...

Oh, the reflux! B had terrible reflux until he was 1. He liked to handle it by spitting up, on me, all the time. I'm so glad you like the blanket. He's so cute.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A sling! That I can understand. :) Glad you found a way to free your hands.

 
At 3:01 PM, Blogger Cate said...

glad you found out what was upsetting him!
reflux+sling=happy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home