27 April 2007

Thanks for all the blogiversary wishes! It really hadn't started feeling like a year until I went digging in the archives.

But that's not why I'm here. I actually *gasp* knit something. Well, half of something:

A single baby bootee from 50 Baby Bootees to Knit. Now, I know I (and he) will need two of these, but geez. Is it me? Is this impossibly small??

The pattern calls for Rowan Cotton Glace, but I only had Baby Ull handy. I was about to type something here about wondering if my gauge was off, but in the three seconds I took to pull these links from the manufacturer's site made me realize, um yes. Gauge wayy off. Could stand a blocking, too.

Now I wonder: Will the babe be able to wear them (a hypothetical plural) home from the hospital, even? Should I knit the other to match? Should I knit a pair larger? Heck, I wondered while knitting if I should forget the bootee and recast as socks? Advice welcome here.

Since I will be (rain & husband accommodating) attending the Connecticut Sheep & Wool festival tomorrow, I thought it might be a good idea to give an updated idea of what I look like now. Terry, whose due date is just 17 days ahead of mine, is allowing me to post this picture of the two of us, taken last night:


Me, in black, at 32 weeks and 4 days. Terry, at 35 weeks on the dot. And another, less fuzzy one:

You know, there is nothing like seeing yourself from a new angle to realize, "Wow. That's what huge looks like." Don't even ask me what I think of my ankles.

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

I know that those would not have fit mu son when he was born. Heck none of the outfits that came with the cute shoes would fit (that is the outfit was fine - the shoes were way too small). He had HUGE feet. I believe that he takes after his daddy on that one. If you and your husband have small to normal sized feet then you might be ok. =)

Have a great time at the festival.

Love the baby bump pictures. Heck I didn't even notice your ankles until you said something.

 
At 10:27 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Wow! Looks like I better get to work on the new one's covering. As for the ankles, mine still look like that. And the Baby just turned 19. Do what ever the Dr. tells you (you know do as I say not as I did?)

 
At 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Feet up and no potato chips! At least, that's what I was told back then... ;o)

As for the wee bootie - odds are they'll fit...for five minutes ;o)

See you tomorrow!!

 
At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're looking great!

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute baby bump pictures! You both look beautiful. I'd say knit the other bootie. They will most likely fit but Jess is right they won't fit for long.

Hope to see you later!

 
At 8:38 PM, Blogger Netter said...

My son has had ginormous feet since birth (and I guess since they were sitting under my ribs for two months). I think a normal baby would be able to wear them home. We seemed to prefer socks, tube socks. As I waited for the page to load I was thinking it would be nice to see a pic of your belly.

 
At 10:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a bumblebee. I'd frog and do bumble bee socks. There's a CUTE hat pattern that looks like a bee skep and you sew bee buttons on it. I will see if I can find it. It would be CUTE with the socks!

 
At 11:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so great to meet you at the festival yesterday! I've been working my persuasive powers on Neal to let me get a bunny...so far, it's a no go, but I have confidence I'll get one yet!!

 
At 5:58 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

I say socks. I like the suggestion towards the tube variety. Super quick. Baby feet are always bigger than anticipated; of course, they are wee and little, but you are comparing them to grown-up feet. At least go up a size.
Hey, you ever gonna call me again?

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left a comment earlier that the little booties looked like bumble bees. I mentioned a hat that looks like a bee skep. The pattern is Mac & Me, #012 Baby Bumble. Her email is machmeprod@comcast.net . Really a cute hat --- has bumble bee buttons on it that would match the little booties.

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOOK at that belly!!!! Nice knitted bootie. This is Monica (knitter bunnies roommate just dropping by to say hello)

 
At 8:15 AM, Blogger Hannah said...

I love seeing the bumps! Beautiful. And I'm always amazed when these things that look so unbelievably tiny wind up actually being BIG on a newborn. Wow. (I guess if I were in your shoes right now I might be pleased that babies are so tiny....)

I cannot BELIEVE you went to St. Andrews! I lived in Laurinburg from birth in spring 1967 through December 1980--and still miss it daily.

 
At 6:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birkenstocks are your friend. Fortunately the ankle swelling will go away, but you'll get to keep the boobs for a while!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home