28 March 2007

Like writing a Lit paper*

So it's Wednesday, and the bolero still isn't done. If something huge had come up and I simply hadn't been able to work on it, I might have an excuse. Instead, I'm pretty sure it has taken me the same number of hours to seam/finish it as it took to knit.

This has led to some thinking.

First, I was a little embarrassed the other day to realize that I hadn't the foggiest idea what was the best way to seam the shoulders. Worse, I didn't realize that fearing the shoulders was silly. Fearing setting in the sleeves, now that makes sense...but fearing the 10 shoulder stitches? Just silly.

Then, I thought about why seaming was such a big shocker for me. I've knit a few things over the last few years, and thought I was pretty competent. But looking back over what I've made I see socks, some things done in the round, and more than a few squares/rectangles. Yes, I've knit two sweaters (only one blogged of here), but one was entirely in the round. The other is still sitting in pieces in UFO basket, waiting for the finishing elves to sew the shoulders to the body. Obviously, there's a problem here.

While I've thought I've been learning lots of techniques, I've been learning them in my safe little world. I learned cables while making squares for Warm Up America, and, now that I think of it, Fair Isle the same way. Sure, I'm learning new things, but I can't shake the feeling that by never having seamed a sweater I somehow had failed to become a "real" knitter without even realizing it. (I am not the only one, it seems)

Several hours have passed since I wrote the bulk of this post, and I've had some time to think on this. No new insights have gripped me, except the desire for more sweater experience. Sweaters for me would be silly right now--I am not knitting a watermelon-sized space into a pattern--but I have the perfect template coming up: a wee baby.

I hope to post pics of the bolero tomorrow, after casting off when I get home from work tonight. I hope to do a light blocking, and maybe have it in the mail before the babe (born at 6:30 ish today) graduates college.

* One of the pieces of advice my sister gave me when is started college was to leave Lit papers for last in the queue of homework. I didn't understand this at first, especially since so much work goes into one, but I finally got it: Lit papers will suck up exactly as much time as you have set aside for all your homework. I think seaming is not so far removed from that.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:24 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Yup! It took three months to knit the Huge Blue Sweater, three weeks to decide I should seam it up, and three days to get around to actually sewing on the buttons. Now if Elder Son and I were only home at the same time I could take a picture of the darn thing, post about it, and mail it! At least the baby things will have *small* seams~

 
At 3:31 PM, Blogger KnitterBunny said...

You make me laugh. I'm so glad you posted again. :) As I recall, you were going to seam that on Sunday. It's Thursday. *hint,hint* There is no better time than the present. :)

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's why I knit most of my sweaters in the round. I can't stand to hand sewing anything! The Sweater Workshop is a great one for that, but if you really want to learn some finishing I hear that Compendium of finishing techniques is a good book.

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

Just get off your butt and do it. You'll feel much better. Remember when I couldn't get the gumption (yes, I said gumption) to seam up the cookie monster? And how stupid I felt once it was done and I realized it's just stupid seaming and not a big deal? Well, I want you to get to feel that stupid, too.
I actually enjoy seaming, now that I have a little confidence in it. No talent, mind you, just confidence.

 
At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mattress Stitch. For instructions go here or here .

You can DO it! ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home