09 February 2007

Best Intentions

It seems like every time I start a project, I'm consumed with enthusiasm for it. I can't imagine ever getting to the point where it is monotonous, annoying or just plain ugly to my eyes. Yet, every single project seems to wither under some sort of super-critical gaze. The ones that make it to FO are the lucky ones--please don't ask to see the graveyard for the ones that don't.

Now, I know I am faaaar from the only one that does this. We all have UFO piles, and some even have UFO closets (this is something I both admire and fear). I guess what's bothering me is the fear of the next UFO. I mean, I understand why I might put down a sweater for six months, or a fair isle vest that vexes me, but an infant cardigan?? That takes just hours to finish, instead of days??

It leaves me wondering at my own foibles. Is this habit of not finishing things leaking into my non-knitting life? Has it been painfully noticeable to everyone else for years, but not me? What's wrong with you feeble brain when you can't finish a wee cardigan?

---

I actually paused between these two paragraphs for several days. The problem--the gripping fear that I couldn't manage to make an FO out of a paltry 150 yards of cotton--sat with me for a few days, but I just couldn't find a way to resolve it. I had been given a chance to spend my knitting time on something other than the wee cardis, and I wasn't sure I could hack it. Last night, dragging myself home at 10:45 from this new project, I understood it: It was the fear of moving on.

One of my co-workers found out on Wednesday that she (finally!) has come up to adopt a child here in the state. Although Connecticut doesn't use waiting lists, the wait for a child matching her criteria (basic, I assure you) has been, interestingly, about nine months. She meets this little boy on Tuesday, and after all this time will have her deepest wish come through.

In response to this, Terry (the maker of Buster's quilt and a former employee here) suggested we get together and make the Fastest Crib Quilt Ever. Now, when it comes to quilts, I am qualified to do two things (if you're generous): 1. Iron and 2. Sew a straight line. I can't pick colors, even in my own wardrobe, and I certainly don't have any knowledge of quilt design.

Our color palette, for the curious:


The style? The pattern? The inspiration? for it is here. I tried to read it and it meant little to me. Too many big quilting words, I guess. I can tell you two things, though:

1. It is beautiful and vibrant and so very full of good thoughts. (This is a heartening departure from my frequent cursing at knitting). And, using energy and and assembly line-like style we were able to piece 2/3 of the top of the quilt in just 1/2 hours.

2. Just because I'm starting a new project doesn't mean I will abandon my current WIP. I think I get that, now.

10 Comments:

At 4:48 PM, Blogger ~Tonia~ said...

Maybe you just need a small break from your knitting?. The quilt is going to be so cute! I can't wait to see more pictures of it. Maybe the quilt will give you the break that you need and you will be ready to finish the wee cardigan.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has the right words --- "quick" and "easy". Have fun!

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the best answer to UFO's is to say that you are a process versus a product knitter ;) I admire quilting - sewing a straight line is equlvalent to me as finding the sqaure root of pi!

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the finished quilt. Love those colors! Oh and sewing a stright line is more than I can do!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

I wouldn't worry too much about the failure to finish. The Baby didn't get his birth (!) sampler until he was.....oh, 16 or so. At least the baby will be finished whether you are activly working at it or not.
Interesting quilt. Will we see finished pictures?

 
At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a wee UFO basket ;o) Though, I think that I have undone socks somewhere since I have now lost four sets of Knitpicks size 1 circs...

Love the quilt colors...

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Baywood Yarns said...

Perhaps there is a bit of fear that finishing the cardi represents Buster being that much closer to arrival?

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Lilith Parker said...

I have a UFO shelf with at least a dozen projects on it. Most of them are small things... mittens, socks, shrugs... things that won't take more than a few hours (if that) to finish, but every time I think about finishing them, I get distracted by my pattern books and stash.

(That sentence was way too long. I shouldn't post when I'm half-asleep.)

Anywho, the quilt is going to be adorable! Post pics when it's finished. :)

 
At 6:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are most definitely not alone!

 
At 1:50 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Yep. Ditto. I think your message is GREAT that just because another project is in the fore at the moment, a WIP doesn't necessarily become a UFO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home