30 May 2006

Wool?

An unintended consequence of the Sheep & Wool Festival this weekend has something to do with this:

(Image from here)

Angora bunnies.

There was a tent near the parking area that offered bunnies for cuddling. Clever marketing ploy those folks had. While my sweetie was not interested in holding one, he did notice how much I enjoyed it. So. Amazingly. Soft. Well, bunnies are nice to hold and all, but we had fiber to buy. Saying goodbye to the baby, we set off. I didn't think anymore of it until a few hours later, when he said something like: "What do you think of getting an Angora rabbit?" Let me just say that I was speechless.

Now, we've been thinking of having a hobby farm in that distant someday when my husband finally finishes law school. His theory was that if a bunny is too much of a pain, then maybe alpacas/sheep/llamas might not be what we want. Granted, a rabbit (or rabbits) in a hutch isn't nearly the commitment that, say, an alpaca is, but an idea at least would be a good thing.

The idea is for the end of summer, since we're planning more weekend tours of New England. I'd feel awful leaving the bunny alone, especially since they need something like daily grooming. Leaving kitties alone for 36 or so hours isn't a big deal, especially since they are pretty good about rationing food. But a bunny? It just sounds mean, especially in the summer, when the poor thing(s) may get too hot.

Ooooooooo, maybe I could barter angora wool?

5 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

Pretty Bunnies! See what happens when you get sucked in by fiberworld. I hear sheep can keep the lawn well manicured. Think the husband will believe it?

 
At 1:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is Olive going to think of your fluffy little bundle of joy? In my experience, psycho cats do not mix well with bunnies.

 
At 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

See?!? I told you I left some good stuff for you ;o)

Of course, it helps that I am allergic to the bunnies...

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the angora bunnies. We are also considering getting one at the end of the summer. I've been asking my husband for the last year and he's been resistant but I think I've finally wore him down.

 
At 4:25 PM, Blogger KnitterBunny said...

Hmmm, if you have questions I have raised rabbits for 13 years. I've also had Angoras and would happily help with the bunny buying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home