09 June 2006

Craptastic

I've loved that word since I've started reading knit blogs, but never really had a reason to use it myself. Now, don't think I haven't knit truly awful stuff. Rather, it has been awful--just not Craptastic (with a capital C).

What I really wanted here was a pic of the absolutely gorgeous hand dyed yarn my Dye O Rama swap partner sent me. You know what? I'm going to cheat like hell and post a pic from her blog:



Isn't it awesome?

Because it is so perfectly what I wanted and she asked to see a swatch, I rushed right in and started a sock. Now, remembering something from Knitting Rules, something about wanting to use every last wooly bit of yarn, I decided to try toe up. I had tried it once before waaaaaay back when I first was learning to knit. I don't know what instructions, what pattern or anything that I was trying to use, only that I couldn't get the increases right. Do I have to admit that I didn't know how to increase then? Yah, go ahead and laugh, it is embarrassing. To top it all off, I was using size 2 metal needles. This sock was just not in my destiny to happen. (Still haven't used the yarn, either. Just can't look at it.)

Since then, I've been coming up with perfectly legitimate reasons to not do toe-up again. Oh, I don't have the time to learn a new technique. I prefer top-down. I only have 4 dpns in that size, not 5. (Yes, the last one is a bit lame. I never said I was clever at justification, only good at it.)

So, being now conversant with increases I figured I am much smarter now than I was then, and perfectly capable of toe-up. Ummm, not so much. They (and all their holes) are kicking my sorry butt. Hard. These toe up socks: Yarn = Fantastic. Sock = Craptastic.

You may have won this round, sockies. But I'll get you yet.

6 Comments:

At 10:05 PM, Blogger KnitterBunny said...

I haven't even been brave enough to try toe-up socks yet. I've barely made it through one pair of cuff down socks! I admire your bravery in attempting the toe-up socks. (I did order Sensational Knitted Socks from Amazon, hoping that it would inspire me to make more socks.)

BTW Beautiful yarn.

 
At 1:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love LOVE the colors. Yay, whoever dyed it for you. So great.

So jealous.

Good luck with the socks.
And I am learning right this minute, and will tell the world, DON'T DRINK AND POST.

 
At 5:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yarn you dye swap pal sent it beautiful! Good Luck with your toe up socks.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

If only I had made Elder Son's socks toes up! I ran out of yarn about an inch and a half from the second toe. No way I'm going to rip out two whole socks. I'll just have to take a chance on dye lots. Would, however, like to see the craptastic socks.

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try here:

Misocrafty Tutorial

and here:

Fluffy Knitter Deb Tutorial

for tutorials on the Turkish cast-on which is SO cool for toe-up socks. It looks clean, etc. Then just do a knit into the front and back on each end of each needle (when you're using circs) every other round until you have the number of stitches you need...you can do it, I know you can ;o)

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One more link...

Misocrafty has a whole list of sock resources here which should help you, too :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home