05 October 2006

Socktoberfest!! (again!)

Late, again! I've been reading everyone's answers to Lolly's Socktoberfest questionnaire, and want to play along (what with being on a sock high, and all).

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I started making socks in March of 2005. My mom's birthday was coming up and she perpetually has cold feet. Socks seemed the perfect gift. Ha!

I taught myself, with only a little success. I really wanted to try DPNs (having been afraid of them for so long). Unfortunately, a lot of instructions leave out that you are to knit the outside of the loop (either that, or they assume you're not as dense as me). I was viewing the stitches from above and knitting into the backs, though I didn't realize it. My socks were being knit inside out (!!!). A co worker at the time, an older Danish woman (with that brusque Germanic accent that can render a person two inches tall) literally laughed at me when I pulled them out one day at lunch. She helped me tweak the process a bit...

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

My first pair was for my Mom's birthday. They were a month late, they took so long. I don't know if they've held up, though, as I don't think she wears them. It could be because she treasures hand-knit things--or it could be that one was a whole size smaller than the other. It's hard to say ;)

What would you have done differently?

Well, I would have knit them both right side out!! Also, I left in two or three mistakes, as I didn't see them right away (what with the insideoutedness). It seemed that it had taken so very long to get where I was that I couldn't bear to rip back. I know better now. Oh, and I would have knit them both the same size, and all.

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

Almost all of them. The only one I haven't enjoyed was the Regia Nation Colors (the bumblebee socks), since they felt kinda wiry. I'm also not liking the Sockotta a whole lot, but I hope that changes.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I do NOT like to crochet socks. I tried once and gave up, figuring the pattern was much smarter than I was. It could just be that I'm allergic to crochet. Much like my aversion to toe-up...

The bestest way for me to knot socks is on 4 DPNs (total). I can completely get my head around the math (ratios) for decreases at the gusset and toes, and I haven't looked back since then. Much.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I've not tried short-row (yet). I keep meaning to, but because I can knit a flap-heel and turn with no directions (read: while at work) I'm pretty partial to it. The socks I'm doing for my mom, though, are short-row, so be prepared for the whining fun.

How many pairs have you made?

Only five, I think, have been finished.

Hopefully I will have some spinning pictures tomorrow. I really have been spinning, despite what it may have appeared, though I'm not yet ready to talk about the issues I had with Edina, yet. Tomorrow...

5 Comments:

At 6:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're about where I am on the sock thing. Only I'm not doing Socktoberfest because in a good year I might finish two pairs.

This has not been a good year.

 
At 7:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of the sockotta either! Can't wait to hear about your spinning adventures!

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger swan/dragon said...

http://www.thedietdiary.com/blog/lucia/554

Short row instructions.

Who loves you, baby?

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger NeedleTart said...

I just got three skeins of Socotta because I love the colors. I have found that cotton socks tend to pool around the tops of my shoes after a washing or two. Such a good look! So, what else should we knit out of this stuff?

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

I love reading these surveys! I'm now off to look up those short row instructions...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home